According to the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA), a 100-gram of Spinach contains 28.1 micrograms of vitamin C, 34 % of the daily recommendation.
Spinach (Palak) is loaded with tons of nutrients and is low in calories. It is a super food.
Health benefits of consuming spinach include contrloing diabetes, lowering the risk of cancer, and improving bone health, as well as supplying minerals and multiple vitamins that can provide a range of different health benefits.
A cup of Palak contains following :
|Vitamin A||2813 IUs|
|Folate||58 Micro gms|
Spinach also contains vitamin K, fiber, phosphorus, and thiamine. Most of the calories in spinach come from protein and carbohydrates.
You have to consume spinach with vitamin C rich ingredients since Spinach has oxalic acid which inhibits the absorption of calcium and iron. Here in this Palak chutney we use tamarind which is a good source of Vitamin C.
Now lets see, how we can use this super food called, Palak/Spinach and prepare simple dish.
Ingredients for Palak Tambuli:
|Grated coconut||1/2 cup|
|Ghee||3 table spoon|
|Jeera||1 table spoon|
|Mustered seeds||1 table spoon|
How to prepare Palak Tambuli:
- Heat the 1 table spoon og ghee in a pan on medium low heat, once hot add black pepper, fry it.
- Add cumin seeds. Fry it for few more seconds.
- Add cut green chillies. Fry till chillies change colour
- Cut Palak in to small pieces and wash thouroughly. Add to pan.
- Cover it and cook the spinach on low heat until it is well cooked. ( it may take 5-7 minutes). Then turn off the heat.
- Add coconut and mix it. Let it cool.
- Grind the above mix along with salt and a little water to a fine taste. Then add curd and mix it well.
- Transfer the tambuli to a bowl.
- Heat remaining ghee in a ladle on medium low heat.
- Once hot, add mustard seeds, after it sputters add jeera. Fry it for few seconds and turn off the heat.
- Add the seasoning to the tambuli and mix it well
- Serve the Palak tambuli with rice or as raita to the pulav or chapati.